Monday, October 31, 2005

In the studio



Hat, mixed fibers, stockinette stitch, size 5 needles

I've put some yarns together and have now begun the second project with them. They are a mish mash of cotton, linen, silk, wool tape ( I love Colinette yarns!), fuzzy acrylic and most in pale tints. A few are saturated hues that stand out and make a great interesting area. I started out making a shawl on large needles with these yarns but then decided that I want to make hats. So I ripped it out and voila.

I have to confess that I'm knitting virtually everywhere now. This photo was taken in a cafe on campus, where I take my own cups and get refills. I started with this sort of chimney shape, and I don't know where it's going, but I like it.

The knitting is a little tight, and I don't know how it'll effect the hat shape yet. I could draw the open top together and put a pom pom up there and it would stand up straight.

Technical note: the aluminum double pointed needles slip right out of the knitting. In the photo you can see that I'm switching to bamboo, which I'm sure will grip the yarn and stay in.

No comments: