Friday, October 14, 2005

In the studio



Scarf, wool, garter stitch with separate strands knitted in, size 9 needles.

This is my experiment so far. Each row is twelve stitches plus a selvage stitch at the beginning of each row. I'm knitting in the separate strands for 3 to 4 stitches, depending on what seems necessary to really bind in the strand. Each strand is about 6 to 9 inches long and I've cut bunches them and put them in a cigar box. I'm not too keen on the color combination at this point and will probably rip this out and start with either a different base color or take most of the black out of my separate strands box and replace it with colors. I've got some creamy white yarn that could make an excellent base yarn for all the black.

Beyond the color situation, the effect is that shaggy appearance that I love very much and I can see myself doing lots and lots of it real soon now.

2 comments:

piranha said...

yeah, the colours don't work for me either, but the texture does.

i might try this in a monochrome colour scheme, to just let the texture do its thing.

Lorre said...

I think that'll work.

I've decided I'm not going to try to rescue it. I actually put some silk fabric strips that I'm using for knitting into it. I think I'll try that too on a future work.

I'm also going to try to make tuft-like ends of long skinny scarves with it because I think it'll add a bit of interest.