Thursday, August 13, 2015

I Can't Resist Shaggy Black Shawls


Scarf, seed stitch, mixed fibers, size 10 wood cable needle.


The surface really looks this complicated, which is most of the reason I like to make black shaggy shawls. This one has fifteen yarns and that also made it a wondrful textile to put together.



I carried around a grocery sack of yarns for awhile, but it was definitely worth it to produce this wild and drapey fabric.



The textile was created in a pet-free and smoke-free environment.  It has some wool and mohair content and will be for cooler weather.



I'm beginning to love the "card" method of keeping the rows of yarns in order.  For this fabric I wanted to balance the delicate and bulky yarns and spread them through out evenly, so the card helped me determine what would be in the next row as I went along.


It's about 75 inches long, so plenty of length to produce wrapped up shapes or sprawled out shapes.  It will go around the neck twice and has plenty of length to do interesting knots.



The triangle is deep enough so that it can be worn "babushka" style like a headscarf and it will cover the back of the head and ears on those extra-cold days or nights.


It's just shy of "wild thang" category.



The light is reflected and absorbed differently by each yarn, and the beads provide a bit of sparkle.  So this can be funky or sophisticated and be a great wrap for many different occasions.

This scarf is for sale along with  others in my etsy shop, Little Hands Studio: 



1 comment:

Linda said...

Your imagination and talent astound me! I'm so envious!!

Linda in VA