Wednesday, January 30, 2008

In the studio



Stole, silk and rayon, stockinette st with garter "rib", size 10.5 aluminum needle, 10 in.

I was up in Saratoga Springs at Saratoga Needle Arts and just got wildly inspired by the yarns there last week. So I selected a sea green silk yarn, dyed by Woodstock Wool Company, and an old Berocco silk and rayon tape that was on sale. I love this fabric. It's a riff on a fabric that Colinette has shown all over the place in their adds. They use much lighter weight yarns and get a marvelous effect. But I've got at least three pieces in progress using the same principle, but with very different types of yarn. In this version I'm knitting 4 rows of stocinette with the lighter of the two yarns, then 2 rows of garter with the heavier yarn, in this case the tape. Because of the silk the drape of the fabric is very dreamy.

No comments: