Tuesday, August 28, 2007

In the studio



Shawl, wool yarn, size 13, 24 inch cable needle, rib stitch.

I reached and found this great hulking shawl as I was beginning my marathon of project completions. I love the feel of this wool on the very large needles. I also love the variations of red produced by their dying technique.

At the same time that it creates a fantastic stretchy fabric, I wonder if it will indeed be too stretchy. It's a worsted weight, and the quite large needle allows every stitch to be completely visible, and it almost looks lacey. So in my mind's eye I'm developing various technical means to make it less stretchy. I'm thinking about applique and weaving strands into the fabric. I'm thinking about crocheting across the fabric. I've thought about throwing it in the washer and dryer to full it a bit. It's going to take some creativity, but eventually I'll settle on just one idea. At the same time I'm trying to choose whether to use the same yarn or contrasting yarn.

It's a very challenging project, but I'm loving every minute of it. I'll knit in another 150 yards or so of this amazing Araucania Nature Wool Chunky. Then the issues will have to be settled one by one.

No comments: