Monday, October 19, 2020

Bulky Gray Capelet


Bulky thick and thin wool yarn; size 10.5 metal cable needle; stockinette stitch



I love making capelets and have made many, this being the most recent example. I still use the formula set out in a book called The Knitting Experience by Sally Melville.  I think she called it a circle scarf.  I is a versatile formula and I intentionally call it a formula rather than a pattern.  

When I use it I work out a gauge with the yarn then cast on the bottom, knit for seven inches and then decrease.  I knit four more inches then decrease again, which will be right about at the shoulders.  I knit four more inches and then create whatever kind of neckline I'd like the capelet to have.  I like this length, which generally falls right around the elbows, because it provides warmth and yet it doesn't get in the way like a full length cape or poncho might.
 

No comments: